WEB ART & DESIGN SPRING 2010

Monday, May 10, 2010

Zack Silver: Kick-Ass promotion

This semester I am interning at a marketing firm named Allied, that does local screenings and promotions for movies from most of the big movie studios (everything except Warner Bros. and Paramount). So for the past 2 months, I have been in charge of the promotion for the film Kick-Ass. It’s a super hero movie, based off a graphic novel about people who are trying to become superheroes without any real powers. I chose to do my Locative Media project on this promotion, highlighting the different events and locations where we have held.

Now that the film is released, most of my work promoting the film is over. It has been a great experience and I’m a little saddened that my work is finished. Because of this promotion I was able to see the film over a month and a half before it came out, and I loved it. It was so much fun to watch, with a great story, tons of action and humor, and some great cinematography. This made promoting the film even more fun. Knowing how “awesome” the movie was, I was able to spread the word, and actually mean what I said. Getting people pumped about the movie, only made me more pumped to see it. I have seen it 3 times and counting, and plan on going again next week.

A movie like is one of the reasons I want to get into the industry. Not only is it an awesome movie, but the way it was produced inspired me. The author of the graphic novel, as well as the director, pitched it to multiple studios to get funding. They all suggested editing the graphic content in the comic, in order for the studio to back it. The producers and director decided to break free from studio involvement, and produce it themselves. I thought this was a great idea, as they were now allowed to truly be faithful to the comic, and create it in the best way. They eventually got a distribution deal through Lionsgate, which was a great move on their part. The film opened in #1 last weekend, and I only hope their success continues, as it’s a film that truly deserves it. GO SEE IT!

No comments:

Post a Comment